TEA-LP presents at the 67th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, 14 March 2023
By Nomanesi Makhonco, 10 March 2023
Dr. Jiska De Groot, who is the network coordinator for the TEA Learning Partnership has been invited to be a speaker at the CSW67 side event, titled Women in Energy – The Role of Energy Utilities in Propelling Women’s Potential. The 90-minute hybrid panel discussion features speakers from Nigeria, Pakistan and South Africa.
The Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) which is the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women is hosting its 67th session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW67). This will take place on March 6-17, 2023 in a hybrid format. The priority theme for this year’s session will be Innovation and technological change, and education in the digital age for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls.
The World Bank’s Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP), with the support of the United Kingdom (UK) government, has developed a digital toolkit to promote and increase the participation of women in energy utilities. This CSW67 side event will serve as a platform to present the Women’s Employment in Energy Sector Utilities Toolkit to a global audience. The toolkit is designed to serve as an educational tool to bolster women’s employment in energy utilities in developing countries. This resource links to free, publicly available information aimed at addressing the barriers identified in the Stepping Up Women’s STEM Careers reports. The toolkit contains four modules, each thematically focused. The first module addresses setting up a data-driven program and strategy with achievable targets; modules 2-4 focus on overcoming barriers to increased women’s employment according to the stage of a woman’s career.
Panel discussion speakers:
- Raluca Golumbeanu, Senior Energy Specialist, World Bank
- Corinne Hart, Senior Gender Advisor for Energy, Environment and Climate in the Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Hub at USAID & Engendering Industries
- Ademola Adewumi, Chief Commercial Officer of the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC), Nigeria
- Mariam Sabtain, Deputy Director for Water and Power Development Authority, Pakistan & WePower
- Jiska De Groot, Senior ESG/Gender Advisor for the African Climate and Development Initiative
Register for the event here